Saturday, April 08, 2006

*Saturday 8th April

After last nights rain I didn't think I'd be out on the bike today but a phone call this morning changed all that.

Carl rang me first thing asking if I wanted to go to Monmouth for a day's cycling along the riverside. Looking out the window the weather was perfect so I agreed.

After spending nearly an hour repairing the puncture from yesterday (stoopid tyre!!) and getting my kit together, I was ready. Bikes in the back of the van, an hour later we in Monmouth...

Beautiful day, the sun was shining, the scenery was stunning and there was a gentle breeze in the air (no gale force Siberian winds like yesterdays ride)... perfect for a long day in the saddle.

After about 200 meters Carl "I can jump anything" Thomas spotted a bike park and rushed ahead... he cleared his first attempt at a rather high jump, then on his second attempt... disaster!!!









I don't know exactly what happened (nor does he) but somehow, mid-air, he done a 180 vertically and a 45 horizontally, resulting in big drop smashing head into concrete. It went something like this:-

The noise of head meets concrete was gross, (I've heard it before but it's always a stomach churner) he didn't have time to put his hands out to soften the blow.

He was out cold for about 10 - 15 seconds and I got to admit I shit a brick. I didn't have a clue what to do!! I knew he shouldn't move so I checked his head injuries, they didn't seem to bad (no gushing blood) but I was more concerned with the fact he had blacked out. After a few minutes of swearing and apologies, he sat up. Keep them talking!!

After about 10 minutes of him swearing and my banter we managed to walk the 200 meters back to the van. I ran across the road to Monmouth leisure center to ask for a first aider, they happened to have a trainee nurse on site and she came rushing over with blankets, pads etc... and then called for an ambulance. I called Karen (Carls partner) and gave her the sitrep.

Carl was not looking good, in and out of consciousness and feeling extremely nauseated, I was getting pretty concerned... at least at the park he was talking and still having a laugh. Another couple who were near by gave us more blankets to keep him warm, I could see he was going into shock. Keep casualties warm!!

Another 15 minutes passed before the ambulance turned up and promptly fitted a neck collar and gave him some oxygen. After being strapped onto a hard plate they rushed him down to Abergavenny hospital.

I managed to drive the van back even with american style dashboard gears and the handling of a pig on roller skates, and I've not long heard from Karen that he's had an x-ray but is still in and out of consciousness, he'll be kept in overnight at least.

I'm sure he'll pull through OK and by monday (if he's in work) we'll be taking the p*ss big time, Carl "I can jump almost anything" Thomas!!

I'm just glad he didn't try:

I learnt 2 lessons today:

  1. ALWAYS wear a helmet!!!
  2. Need to attend a first aid course ASAP!!

Hope your back on your bike soon mate!!

PS I took the photos after the accident (as Carl was shouting abuse about his acrobatic and head bouncing techniques), just incase your thinking I'm a cruel bar-steward...

Total fundraising to date: £1127.00
Miles Rode Today: 0.5
Miles Rode Since 16/02/06: 161